Every month we feature a carry or carrier to highlight at our monthly meetings and online (“BWTCCOTM” stands for Babywearing Twin Cities Carry or Carrier of the Month).
This month we are featuring pouch slings!
What is a “pouch sling?”
A pouch sling is a baby carrier that is a simple loop or tube of fabric that is worn over one shoulder much like a ring sling. Most pouch slings come in sizes and are not adjustable, so it is important that your pouch sling fits you well.
Pouch Sling Photo Tutorial
- Pouches are a tube with one curved edge where the seam is. Find that curved edge. Make sure the fabric isn’t twisted.
- Fold the pouch in half so the patterned side is on the outside all around the tube. The seam should be folded in half on itself.
- To get an idea of size, the pouch should be about as long as the distance from one shoulder to the opposite hip.
- Put the pouch on, sliding it over one arm and over your head like a beauty queen sash, with the fold on the bottom. The seam should be in front and will be where you place your wearee. Center it on your front for a young baby or you can choose to put it at your hip for an older infant/toddler.
- Ask your wearee if they are interested in going up. Oh you’d love to, demo doll? Excellent.
- Start with baby up on your shoulder like you are going to burp them. Open up the pouch a bit, then slide baby down using one hand to guide their legs and bottom into the sling.
- Guide baby down into the sling so that their bottom sits in the center of the pouch, where the fold is. Pull the top of the pouch up towards the back of baby’s neck.
- Pull along the bottom edge of the pouch, from your back to the your front. Using the slight bit of slack, tuck the bottom portion up between baby’s knees to make a seat.
- Adjust the sling so it is spread across your shoulder.
- Spread the sling down across your back to help distribute the weight.
Tip: If the top edge of the sling doesn’t feel like it is supporting baby quite enough, you can flip the shoulder to use up some of that slack. Take the top layer closest to your neck and pull it down your shoulder.
Pouch Sling Video Tutorial
Video Tutorial with Captions for Pouch Sling Hip Carry by Tandem Trouble: https://youtu.be/LLO_okttppw
Did you know that BWTC has its very own POUCH exchange program??? Bring in your pouch sling and a volunteer educator can check to see if it’s fitted properly; if not, you can exchange it for one that fits. Let us know ahead of time so we can do our best to get our collection of pouches to the meeting you’ll be attending!
2019 July – graphics updated with current logo.
If you have any questions about babywearing, we encourage you to contact us and/or come learn in person at one of our meetings! Check out our Instagram @Babywearing.Twin.Cities and our Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/Babywearingtwincities/).
Images have image descriptions in the alternative text accessible to those who use screen readers.