Let’s talk about how we view things as the norm. Does it mean it’s something that’s frequently seen/heard/done? Does it mean it’s something expected? Does it mean it’s some sort of standard? Here’s the definition of “normality” or “normalcy” from the Oxford dictionary:
- the condition of being normal; the state of being usual, typical, or expected.
How does this apply to babywearing? If the majority of people around you wore babies, it would be commonplace to do so. It would be the usual, typical, expected. If the books children read never illustrate, mention, depict babywearing, would it then be unusual, atypical, unexpected? Wearing babies is a practice that’s common to many many cultures around the world, practiced for generations and part of daily life. If we are to teach children that it is that, we can look into books that include wearing!
Below is a list of books put together by the volunteers of Babywearing Twin Cities. It is by no means an exhaustive list and we would love to continue adding to it! Check your local library for any of these options (and if they don’t have any, recommend a few!).
- All the World (Classic Board Books) Board book by Liz Garton Scanlon (Author), Marla Frazee (Illustrator)
- A Ride on Mother’s Back: A Day of Baby Carrying around the World Hardcover by Emery Bernhard (Author), Durga Bernhard (Illustrator)
- Baby Goes to Market Hardcover by Atinuke (Author), Angela Brooksbank (Illustrator)
- Backpack Baby / El Bebé De La Mochila-Backpack Baby Board Books (English/Spanish Edition) (English and Spanish Edition) (Spanish) Board book by Miriam Cohen (Author)
- Carried On Your Back Paperback by Ida Therén (Author), Z. Keller (Illustrator)
- Carrying Baby A Babywearing Adventure by Elle Rowley (Author)
- Everywhere Babies Board book by Susan Meyers (Author), Marla Frazee (Illustrator)
- Forest Baby Board book by Laurie Elmquist (Author), Shantala Robinson (Illustrator)
- Goodnight Kuu~Kuu: My Cozy All Day Village Safari Paperback by Wamoro P. Njenga (Author), Anne Sibley O’Brien (Illustrator)
- Llévame /Carry Me (Spanish/English (Babies Everywhere) (Spanish and English Edition) Board book by Star Bright Books (Author), Various (Illustrator)
- Mama Elizabeti Paperback by Stephanie Stuve-Bodeen (Author), Christy Hale (Author)
- Mama Holds Me Close: a babywearing book by Melissa Panter (Author)
- Mama Loves You So (New Books for Newborns) Board book by Terry Pierce (Author), Simone Shin (Illustrator)
- My Two Dads and Me Board book by Michael Joosten (Author), Izak Zenou (Illustrator)
- My Two Moms and Me Board book by Michael Joosten (Author), Izak Zenou (Illustrator)
- The Seven Silly Eaters by Mary Ann Hoberman (Author), Marla Frazee (Illustrator)
- Up!: How Families Around the World Carry Their Little Ones by Susan Hughes (Author), Ashley Barron (Illustrator)
- You Are New by Lucy Knisley (Author)